November 26, 2018
Etiam porta sem malesuada magna mollis euismod. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
All who work at Kenyon want the College to represent excellence within the broad world of higher education in America and within the smaller world of liberal arts colleges. Much experience teaches us that any entity, if it proceeds without the occasional scrutiny of external judges, runs a real risk of mistaking parochialism for excellence or of slipping into an attitude that invariably prefers the customary to the innovative.
To counteract such tendencies of mind and spirit and to promote excellence in fulfilling the instructional mission of the College, the faculty approves the following procedures for regular departmental evaluations.
1. Each academic year three to four academic departments or interdisciplinary programs will be evaluated by a team of external reviewers. Each academic department and interdisciplinary program offering a major should be evaluated every ten years. Interdisciplinary programs that offer only a concentration and co-curricular academic division programs may request an external review.
2. The evaluation team will be chosen through consultation between the Associate Provost and the department.
3. Ordinarily. an evaluation team will consist of two members, but the number may vary depending upon the nature of the department. All members will be engaged in academic careers and trained in the discipline(s) being evaluated, and at least one must be from a liberal arts college.
4. The schedule for evaluations will be decided upon by the Associate Provost, in consultation with the department chairs.
5. A timeline for a departmental evaluation will include the following:
In the semester prior to the visit
Two months prior to the visit
The visit by the evaluation team
Follow-up to the visit
(Approved May 1993) (Amended Sep 2010)